Duties required of Referral Coordinator set appointments and process transfers to ensure timely transmission and start of services. Primarily connected with the healthcare industry, referral coordinators serve as a liaison for patient resources. This position must be executed in compliance with insurance requirements, and the coordinator will often work closely with insurance companies.
REPORTS TO: Referral Supervisor
- Graduated from accredited school, and High School diploma/G.E.D.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, patients, representatives of outside agencies and the general public.
- Professional mannerisms and appearance
- Ensure that clinical services are available to all clients
- Demonstrate proficiency in assessment and delivery of all services to a diverse population
- Adult, Infant and Child C.P.R. certification
- Schedule outside referral appointment, as directed by PCP.
- Keep accurate log of all appointments made.
- Document in log book: location of appointment, name and specialty of doctor seeing patient, date of appointment.
- Document referral appointments in medical record.
- Send all appropriate paperwork and records to specialist.
- Check referral voicemail regularly; address referral requests appropriately.
- Perform general office duties that require proficiency in communication and organizational skills.
- Review referral and verify patient insurance information
- Consult with patient regarding scheduling appointment times as needed
- Verify patient address and phone number
- Complete medical referral, inform patient of appointment information via mail/phone
- Fax all pertinent referral information i.e., history and physical, labs last office visit and referral
- Obtain correct insurance authorization as required per insurer
- Record referral information in patients chart and referral log
- This position also requires the ability to work at a computer workstation, and some knowledge of a key board. From time to time, it also requires the ability to work long and arduous hours.
I have read this position description thoroughly, and have had an opportunity to ask any questions I have with regard to it.