Position Title: Van Driver
The Van Driver will operate a van equipped to provide non-emergency transport of mobile and mobility impaired individuals and offering safe custom transportation to medical appointments and treatments.
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
- Current valid Driver’s license and excellent driving record.
- High school diploma or equivalent in English required, knowledge of Spanish is helpful.
- Satisfactory completion of CPR, first-aid seizure training provided through Caring Health Center or a certificate indicating prior completion of such training.
- Possession of patience and tact necessary for contacts with patients, both adult and children and possible caregivers.
- Must be reliable and capable of working independently and remaining calm in case of emergency.
- Ability to lift, push, pull, and position patients frequently.
- Ability to perform considerable reaching, stooping, and bending.
- Hearing and vision abilities within normal range (corrected) to drive safely and to observe and communicate with patients.
- Regular exposure to injuries and illness.
- Frequent need to handle emergency or crisis situations.
- Exposure to a variety of weather conditions.
- Occasional exposure to the risk of bloodborne diseases.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Picks up patients at home or other facility. Provides the assistance required to safely board patients and caregivers.
- Ensures wheelchairs and passengers are properly secured before starting van. Depending on route, may pick up several patients for a common destination.
- On arrival at medical facility, assists patients in exiting the van and reaching the proper offices or treatment areas.
- Checks the van to ensure that no personal items are left behind.
- Provides first-aid or CPR if required during patient transport. Immediately notifies emergency staff and dispatcher if skilled assistance is required.
- Completes reports at the end of a shift.
- Immediately reports traffic accidents to dispatcher, requesting police or ambulance service as needed. Assists injured persons from first-aid kit until these services arrive. Completes company accident reports.
- Sanitize seats and contact areas between each patient use and sanitize van at end of each day.
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
From time to time, this position requires the ability to work long and arduous hours, outside of regular hours for the agency.