Patient Access Coordinator/Transportation Specialist
Position Title: Patient Access Coordinator/Transportation Specialist
This position is responsible for managing the entire patient experience in person and over the phone specifically as it relates to eliminating transportation barriers for patients and promoting patient access. This position will require scheduling and coordinating patient transportation needs with private and public transportation options as appropriate. This position will require interaction with patient, family and inter-institutional transportation coordination/dispatch services and/or resources to ensure that patients have optimal opportunity to make and keep healthcare appointments and related services. Prioritizes and dispatches transport requests and notifies departments of delays. This position will require cross-training in facilitating clinical/community linkages and scheduling responsibilities. These include scheduling patient appointments, verifying insurance coverage, data entry of patient information into an online system, registration, and checkout. Bilingual English/Spanish required. This position will also require computer data entry, word processing and reporting on various patient indicators such as call volume, no shows, and productivity amongst other things. This position will also assist with medical records management and creation as required.
Reports to: Front Office Operations Manager
Department: Front Office
- High school diploma with 1-2 years related experience.
- Prefer candidate with previous experience in the medical field as a medical assistant, switchboard/call center/receptionist, community health worker, medical records coordinator or insurance professional.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Detail-oriented; able to work accurately and efficiently in a fast paced environment where multi-tasking is required.
- Must have strong time management and organization skills and self-discipline.
- Bilingual, articulate in conversational interpretation.
- Must possess the ability of positively interacting with patients, personnel, visitors and the general public.
- Must show discretion in the handling of confidential information.
- Must possess the ability to work independently, problem solve and make decisions when necessary.
- Computer literate in basic word processing applications and data entry.
- Must be able to read and interpret maps and dashboards.
- Friendly, reliable, and professional both in behavior and appearance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, individuals seeking assistance and the general public.
Principle Transportation Specialist Responsibilities and Duties:
- Effectively manage/schedule requests for transportation resource assistance from various sources, including the patient’s home base to CHC’s sites and medical facilities referred by the primary care provider. Connect patients with the safest, fastest route of transportation using all available locator aids.
- Mitigate transportation issues and document resolutions.
- Perform data entry and data collection using transportation platform as well as required for patient intake process.
- Provide updates and feedback on transportation resources that are missing or no longer accurate as represented in the transportation locator aid/dashboard.
- Maintains confidentiality of all Health Center information.
- In accordance with established procedures, receives and forwards all incoming phone calls as appropriate (triage nurse, interpreters, outreach, or administrative departments, etc.) in a friendly manner.
- Prepare and provide reports as required to management and other staff.
- Collaborate with Community Health Workers and Care Coordinators as needed to mitigate patient’s social environmental needs and to facilitate clinical/community linkages.
- Collect patient satisfaction survey as needed to assess patient’s experience.
- Fulfill duties of scheduler as specified below.
Assist with other scheduler Responsibilities such as:
- Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the data entry of patient information into the computer. This data entry includes various patient information, as well as relevant insurance.
- Maintains current knowledge of the time requirements of various categories of patient visits, preferences and work schedules of various physicians.
- Makes patient reminder calls in a timely fashion.
- Handle inquiries (regarding hours, location, programs, patient eligibility, etc.) in a professional manner.
- Refer acutely ill patients to nursing for triage in person or over the phone.
- Inquire of all patients as to any change in address, phone, financial or insurance status.
- Facilitate communication between the patient and all aspects of the health care system.
- Assists staff in identifying/contacting external office support services.
- Provide customer support and assist in resolving issues presented by patients or identified within the organization.
- All other duties as required.
This position also requires the ability to use a computer, work at a computer workstation, viewing a CRT and have some knowledge of a keyboard. Requires rotation with other front office personnel with little or no notice and can be between facilities. In addition, you will be required to cover later clinic hours including weekends between any Caring Health Center locations. The following job description is subject to change and duties may be removed or added.