MAT/OBAT Intake Coordinator
Position Title: MAT/OBAT Intake Coordinator
The MAT/OBAT Intake Coordinator will work within the Behavioral Health (BH) department and will act as a liaison between potential clients and other care team members (Community Health Workers, Clinicians, Healthcare Providers, etc.) to conduct initial intake/enrollment procedures for the Medication Assisted Treatment/Office-Based Addiction Treatment (MAT/OBAT) program in addition to providing ongoing recovery support services (RSS). The Intake Coordinator will also assist in developing and coordinating, culturally- and linguistically-tailored community outreach activities, develop educational outreach and promotional materials, and support recovery groups held within the department.
Reports to: Director of Behavioral Health
Hours: 40 Hours/Week
Note: This position is grant-funded.
- Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field a plus.
- Oral and written fluency in English (fluency in another language a plus, such as Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Vietnamese, or Nepali).
- Work with care coordination teams to develop and support clients acting on care plans.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with the clients, providers, nurses, medical assistants, insurance navigators, agency representatives, supervisors and office staff.
- Basic understanding of co-occurring disorders in mental health, medical and substance use.
- Familiarity with national and state-based public benefits, health coverage, and health care reform policies/systems, including the Affordable Care Act, state-based marketplaces, food and nutrition benefits, and Medicaid (familiarity with Massachusetts-based insurance products a plus).
- Experience conducting or organizing community outreach activities (familiarity with greater Springfield area a plus).
- At least two years of experience supporting direct patient care; experience in substance use and behavioral health settings will be highly prioritized.
- Ability to respond to provider and team requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to listen actively, demonstrate responsiveness to team needs/requests, and integrate feedback thoughtfully and promptly.
- Demonstrate utmost discretion and compliance with state, federal, and internal policies when handling confidential patient information.
- Must display the use of appropriate independent judgment to determine appropriate course of action in resolving problems and in emergencies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong professional communication and correspondence skills.
- Complete proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google Workspace (Email, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides) applications.
- Superior attention to detail and organizational abilities.
- Ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity with staff, teams, patients, stakeholders, and partners representing diverse cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities, socioeconomic statuses, educational backgrounds, worldviews, literacy levels, and languages.
- Personal transportation and flexibility to travel daily
- Flexibility to attend out-of-town trainings, conferences, and outreach on occasional evenings and weekends
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinate and help increase client enrollment and intake into the MAT/OBAT program.
- Be responsible for responding to all inquiries (telephone and walk-in) regarding possible admission to the program or outpatient clinic in a timely, customer-service orientated manner.
- Verify potential clients’ general eligibility for services.
- Considerable knowledge of social work principles and practice, social health, welfare programs and laws governing eligibility for these programs
- Complete intake documentation and conduct initial substance use and BH clinical screening as part of intake procedures and provides it to clients’ clinical record.
- Conduct warm hand-offs to clinical care teams, research personnel, etc.
- Work closely with Outreach and Enrollment Navigators to provide assistance related to clients’ health insurance needs, SNAP benefits enrollment, navigation, etc.
- Track and process internal referrals from the medical/dental departments.
- Work closely with external case managers, care coordinators, etc. to process referrals from jail, other outpatient programs within the BHP ACO, etc. into the MAT/OBAT program.
- Work with CHWs, Peer Recovery Specialist, etc. and have familiarity with community resources to provide RSS linkages to clients.
- Act as a resource and coordinate assessments with other behavioral/mental health professionals.
- Follow through on managing crises until resolution, i.e., client placement or referral to the treatment team or Clinical Supervisor for further follow-up/case consultation or case resolution.
- Conduct outreach in the community as well as to multiple community organizations specializing in providing recovery support and resources in and around the Springfield area to increase client enrollment and engagement.
- Assist Clinicians and Wellness Nurse Manager in coordinating recovery and wellness groups for clients within the organization.
- Assist in developing educational and promotional materials for health education, advocacy and promotion.
- Maintains HIPPA standards and confidentiality of protected health information
- Adheres to organizational policies and procedures.
- Provide case management services to individuals with mental health and substance use disorders. This includes, but is not limited to coordinating services for clients and making necessary referrals to community resources.
- Scheduling in-person/telehealth appointments for clients with clinical staff.