General Description: Provide nutrition services to WIC applicants and participants.
Reports to: WIC Senior Nutritionist
- Bachelor's degree in public health nutrition, nutrition, foods and nutrition, or nutrition education.
- Master's degree in public health nutrition, nutrition, or food and nutrition, Registration with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, or licensure with the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Dietitians and Nutritionists, desired.
- One year's experience in clinical or community nutrition, preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making capabilities.
- Good communications skills.
- Sensitivity to the needs of the participant population.
- Availability to work at multiple WIC sites and during program clinic hours as needed.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Provides nutrition care to high-risk women, infants and children under the supervision of the senior nutritionist, including all aspects of:
- Anthropometric and hematological data collection.
- Dietary assessment, nutritional risk assessment and food package prescription.
- Nutrition and breastfeeding counseling and education.
- Documentation and data entry.
- Referrals to other health and social services.
- Follow-up nutrition education.
2. Participates in planning, development and evaluation of:
- Educational materials and group nutrition education sessions.
- Participant counseling and education strategies.
- Nutrition in-services and outreach activities.
- Nutrition policies.
3. Assists senior nutritionist in:
- Training paraprofessional WIC staff.
- Conducting quality assurance activities.
4. Communicates with health care community on issues pertaining to participant needs.
5. Provides nutrition care for low-risk applicants and participants as needed.
6. Performs other duties as needed, including:
- Assisting in the training of CPA Is and CPA IIs.
- Quality assurance activities
This position also requires the ability to use a computer, work at a computer workstation, viewing a CRT and have some knowledge of a keyboard.
From time to time, this position requires the ability to work long and arduous hours.