Community Health Worker
Position Title: Community Health Worker
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for helping patients and their families
navigate and access health and community services while adopting healthy behaviors. The CHW
works as a member of the care team through an integrated approach to care management and
community outreach. The CHW works to promote, maintain, and improve the health of patients
and their family by providing social support and informal counseling. The CHW partners closely
with different providers, patients and outside organizations and is responsible facilitating
communication between patient and care teams; and providing culturally-appropriate health
education and self-management support. Additionally, the CHW will collaborate within a teambased care delivery model to improve the health and lives of our community members. The CHW
will participate in the development and implementation of innovative costs-effective delivery
system changes that proactively meet the complex needs of our patients including efforts to
manage their behavioral and social needs in addition to their medical care. The CHW will assist
the WC RN Manager and Care Coordination Operations Manager in supporting Wellness Center
programs and administration as needed. The CHW will work toward achieving the aims of the
overall CHC CHW program as well as any additional grant- funded aims.
This position requires compliance with Caring Health Center’s compliance standards, including its
Standards of Conduct, Compliance Program, and policies and procedures. Such compliance will be an
element considered as part of regular performance evaluation.
Reports to: Care Coordination Operations Manager
Hours: Up to 40 hours/week
NOTE: This position is dependent on sustained grant-funding.
Education and Experience:
1. Minimum of High School GED
2. At least 2-5 years of experience working in community setting preferred
License, Certification and Registration
Will be required to attend and successfully complete several trainings to meet CHW certification,
funding, or regulatory requirements and to meet the needs of the community (may need to
supplement any previously completed CHW trainings).
Preferred (not required) training in physical activity/wellness-related activities (e.g., group
exercise, personal trainer, CDSM, DPP, ServeSafe, etc.)
1. Complete fluency in oral and written English and both oral and written fluency in at least one
of the most common languages among CHC patients: Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Vietnamese
or Nepali) strongly preferred.
2. Ability to use a computer, Microsoft Office, EMR, and proficient in accessing and searching
3. Effective communication skills
4. Strong writing skills
5. Strong organizational and time-management skills, detail-oriented
6. Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member in a complex and fast-paced
7. Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with
CARING HEALTH CENTER, INC.
culturally and educationally diverse staff and clients
8. Friendly, reliable, punctual and professional
9. Must possess the ability to work independently, problem solve and make
10. Must have the ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information
1. Reliable transportation required. MA Drivers license and car preferred.
11. Willingness to work some weekend/evening hours depending on project and community
needs, such as advocacy and community capacity building activities
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Target and outreach, including home visits, to the most vulnerable and at-risk patients
and establish positive and supportive relationships
2. Assist with medication adherence, reminding patients about upcoming appointments,
arranging transportation assistance and other services patients may need
3. Conduct social determinants of health screenings to the extent of his/her capability
4. Coach patients in effective management of their chronic conditions and self-care
5. Provides basic health education in individual or group sessions and helps patients to
develop health management plans that support their achievement of their individualized
health and wellness goals
6. Help patients in identifying and utilizing community resources using Health Leads
database, in addition to scheduling and accompanying them to appointments, and
assisting with completion of application for programs for which they may be eligible
7. Facilitate communication and coordinate services between providers;work
collaboratively and effectively within a multidisciplinary team
8. Builds and maintains positive working relationships with the clients, providers,
supervisors and all staff
9. Continuously expand knowledge and understanding of community resources and
services, public health prevention, and evidence-based intervention programs provided
10. Effectively works with people from diverse backgrounds, including translators, in
reducing cultural and socio-economic barriers between clients and institutions
11. Develops and implements culturally and linguistically tailored educational and support
12. Collaborates with the care team to track, monitor and report on specified disease-related
and patient tracking measures
13. Documents activities, service plans, and results in appropriate data collection tools and/or
EMR in a clear and concise manner
14. Support the WC RN Manager in managing all WC administrative tasks including managing
the program calendar, keeping all flyers up to date, ensuring registration materials are up to
date and stocked, booking all internal and external event requests, and managing equipment
inventory and maintenance schedule.
15. Support culturally-appropriate cooking demonstrations and nutritional education
programming in the WC as grant funding and experience allow.
16. Support culturally-tailored group physical activity programming as grant funding and
17. Foster patient engagement and leadership in the Wellness Center.
18. Assist with referrals to the WC programming and ensure that all patients are contacted in a
19. Assist with patient intake appointments/sessions for WC physical activity registration.
20. Assist with collecting data relevant to the WC programs including referrals and attendance.
21. Collaborate to support the Chronic Disease Prevention and Management Programs
1. This position may require the ability to work long and arduous hours.
2. This position requires the ability to use a computer workstation, viewing a CRT