Provides and oversees direct dental diagnosis, treatment, procedures, and care for a specified patient population.
Reports to:Dental Director
Supervises: Dental Hygienists, Dental Assistants, Dental Students, and Externs.
- Doctorate degree in Dental Surgery or Dental Medicine; at least one (1) year of directly related experience which may include completion of an accredited general practice residency program.
- Experienced with or having a strong interest in addressing the health care needs of low income, special needs or disadvantaged populations.
- Committed to community empowerment; sensitive to and respectful of cultural differences of the patient population.
- Able to work with a multi-disciplinary team.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide and manage direct patient care, including examinations, evaluations, assessments, diagnoses and treatment for a specified patient population.
- Prescribe pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate to assessed medical conditions.
- Refer patients to specialists and to relevant patient care components as appropriate.
- Direct and coordinate the patient care activities of dental technical and support staff as required.
- Follow established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
- As appropriate to the position, participates in specified health promotion, education and/or prevention programs.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Knowledge of community medical diagnostic and patient care services in area of medical expertise.
- Knowledge of current principles, methods and procedures for the delivery of medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment in area of expertise.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of legal and ethical standards for the delivery of dental surgical care.
- Ability to observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
- Knowledge of relevant drugs and non-pharmaceutical patient care aids and ability to prescribe dosages and instruct patients in correct usage.
- This position may require the ability to work long and arduous hours.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens.
- This position requires the ability to use a computer workstation, viewing a CRT.
I have read the position description thoroughly and have had the opportunity to ask questions I have with regard to it.