Under general supervision of a qualified Dentist, assesses patient needs and plans and delivers direct dental care and associated services to patients. Utilizes established dental hygiene protocol and procedures.
Reports to: Dental Director
- Bachelor’s Degree; minimum of one (1) year of directly related experience.
- Current licensure as a Dental Hygienist in the State of Massachusetts.
- Experienced with or having a strong interest in addressing the health care needs of low income, special needs or disadvantaged populations.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assesses dental condition and needs of patient; uses patient screening procedures, to include medical history review, dental charting, and perio charting; takes patient vital signs as required.
- Delivers direct patient care to patients as assigned, using established dental hygienist procedures; performs routine treatment procedures, such as prophylaxis, scaling and root planning, polishing, x-rays, application of sealants and fluorides, and related procedures.
- Develops and implements individualized dental care plans for patients; performs patient education, discharge planning, and patient/family teaching under the supervision of a qualified dentist.
- Provides chair-side assistance to dentist in the performance of special tests, procedures, and complex treatments.
- Makes impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts.
- Documents dental history or chief complaint; records and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental staff, as appropriate; documents lab procedures and ensures follow up on results.
- Assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse development during treatment of patients.
- Performs patient triage and initiates patient care as appropriate for walk-in patients.
- Assists in preparation of patient care areas, and in the patient admission, transfer, and discharge process, as required; prepares reports and assists as required with patient reception, telephone calls, routine triage, and other office duties.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
11. Making sure prior approvals are being sent to Mass Health as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to analyze medical records and prescribed protocol to formulate effective treatment plans.
- Knowledge of Federal and State regulations and guidelines for the provision of dental outpatient services.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Ability to independently assess the nature and extent of dental, periodontic, and associated conditions and pathology in dental outpatients.
- Ability to perform a full range of established dental hygienist protocol and procedures.
- Knowledge of patient screening, charting, and medical history procedures and documentation.
- Knowledge and understanding of dental surgery and associated procedures, terminology, and techniques.
- Ability to set up and prepare dental equipment and instrumentation in accordance with established regulations and guidelines.
- Ability to independently perform emergency dental procedures.
- Knowledge of patient admission, triage, transfer, and discharge procedures and documentation.
- This position may require the ability to work long and arduous hours.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight object up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens.
- This position requires the ability to use a computer workstation, viewing a CRT.
I have read the position description thoroughly and have had the opportunity to ask questions I have with regard to it