Position Title: Medical Assistant
Medical Assistants support providers and nurses in preparing clients for clinic visits and diagnostic testing. They are also responsible for obtaining accurate results and documenting in the electronic health record.
Reports To: Clinical Site Manager
- Graduated from accredited school, and High School diploma/G.E.D.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, patients, representatives of outside agencies and the general public.
- Professional mannerisms and appearance
- Demonstrate proficiency in assessment and delivery of all services to a diverse population
- Adult, Infant and Child C.P.R. certification
- In accordance established procedures, take and record vital signs including height, weight, blood pressure, pulse and temperature for all visits.
- Perform tests, i.e., EKG, vision and audio screening and oxygen saturation as requested.
- Prepare exam room and assist with exam as needed
- If bilingual, provide assistance to staff in interpretation during visits and phone contact as needed
- Perform other duties deemed necessary by Site Manager or Clinical Services Director
- Oversee providers schedule and management of patient flow
- Maintain confidentiality of all health center information
- Schedule patient appointments and follow-up
- Comply with H.I.P.P.A. regulations
Maintenance of lab/work area:
- Keep work areas, exam rooms, and lab clean and orderly
- Maintain Universal Precautions at all times and follow protocols related to blood/body fluid spills
- Order lab and clinic supplies as needed
- Inspect supplies in exam rooms and supply closet minimally every quarter and document in log books
- Review order sheet
- Draw, perform and/or collect all lab specimens ensuring specimen integrity
- Perform urinalysis, hcg, strep testing , finger stick blood glucose, hgb and lead testing
- Complete correct lab requisition according to insurance/grant
- Record completed lab work in lab logs daily
- Autoclave and record weekly spore count
- Assist with QI projects to improve and maintain quality measures for HRSA, UDS, NCC, ACO and PCMH.
This position also requires the ability to work at a computer workstation, and some knowledge of a key board. From time to time, it also requires the ability to work long and arduous hours.