Internist / Family Medicine Practitioner M.D
The Staff Internist functions independently to provide primary medical services and ambulatory care to adult patients of CHC. In addition, he/she participates actively in the development and execution of the general adult and geriatric program at the Health Center, medical programs in the community, and such quality assurance, research, and administrative tasks as are deemed relevant by the Chief Medical Officer to patient care at the Health Center. The Staff Physician will also participate in the general activities and obligations of all health care providers at CHC.
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
Supervises: Clinical Support Staff
- Maintenance of unrestricted Massachusetts medical license.
- Completion of the M.D. degree.
- Completion of three years post-graduate residency training in an accredited Internal Medicine/Family Medicine residency program.
- Board eligibility in Internal Medicine/Family Medicine.
- Maintenance of current DEA and Massachusetts Controlled Substances registrations.
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality care in a high-volume, multicultural Health Center setting.
- Qualification for unrestricted admitting privileges at Baystate Medical Center and Mercy Medical Center, and maintenance of such privileges during job tenure.
- Qualification as a provider for major insurers.
- Board Certification in Internal Medicine/Family Medicine
- Fluency in Spanish, Russian, or Vietnamese
- Special expertise in provision of health care to under served, culturally diverse populations
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide direct patient care services within area of expertise. Assesses, plans, documents, and evaluates patient needs and treatments. Ensures appropriate follow-up.
- Maintains a practice that is culturally and linguistically sensitive, using interpreters and other assistance as appropriate.
- Designs a plan of care based on assessment of physical, emotional, and social needs, and in collaboration with the patient and if appropriate, the family.
- Refers patients, as appropriate, to specialists and other practitioners and facilities.
- Reviews patient charts and ensures that appropriate treatment plans are developed and followed.
- Collaboratively works with other caregivers regarding patient education and rehabilitation including promotion of mental and physical health.
- Serve rotation for on-call schedules.
- Cooperates with efforts of the CHC administration to monitor and improve the quality of patient care provided.
Communications/ Interpersonal Skills:
- Demonstrates sensitivity and responds appropriately to verbal and non-verbal communications of patients, families and co-workers.
- Maintains patient’s right to privacy, assuring dignity in the provision of care; is discreet in all communications, written or oral, about the patient’s care.
- Utilizes tact, courtesy, patience, and discretion in dealing with others.
- Consistently utilizes good judgment in the resolution of problems, clinical and non-clinical.
- Posses the ability to act independently and is willing to make decisions utilizing good judgment.
- Has the ability to visualize and anticipate new problems and to be part of the problem solving process.
- Attends and actively participates in scheduled staff meetings.
- Participates in professional staff teaching, both formal and informal as required.
- Maintains clinical competence through on-going medical education and training.
- Maintains admitting privileges at local hospitals (Baystate, Mercy).
1. On-call coverage is generally required; frequency depends upon need.
2. There is potential exposure to patient blood and body fluids.
3. This position requires the ability to use a computer workstation, viewing a CRT/EMR.
This position requires compliance with Caring Health Center’s compliance standards, including its Standards of Conduct, Compliance Program, and policies and procedures. Such compliance will be an element considered as part of the Medical Provider’s regular performance evaluation.
I have read the position description thoroughly and have had the opportunity to ask questions I have with regard to it.