Medical Records Coordinator
Position Title: Medical Records Coordinator
This position is responsible for compiling, processing, scanning and indexing of all records into the electronic health record consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and regulatory requirements.
Reports to: Front Office Operations Manager
Department: Front Office
- High school diploma.
- Knowledge in Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Detail-oriented; able to work accurately and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Friendly, reliable, and professional both in behavior and appearance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, individuals seeking assistance and the general public.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Experience with electronic health records preferred.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Performs all electronic health record functions/duties:
a. Utilizes electronic health record system for inquiry purposes, enters and sends data.
b. Scan and index documents into electronic health record system.
- Chart Flow: (As needed)
- Pull charts as requested and re-file.
- Maintain non-computerized records of patient data in good order, as needed.
- Assist in retrieval of paper charts not found in onsite storage, as needed.
- Act as the receiving agent for all correspondence requests for records and for DTA forms or related papers.
- Maintain records of received and distributed information (i.e., in-out).
- Maintain orderly files of received information.
- Correspondence will be processed in a timely manner (7 to 10 business days from date of receipt).
- Copy portions of patient chart as needed for record requests.
- Assist in procedures for billing persons requesting extra or special copies.
- Appropriately refer special information requests to providers, with chart as needed.
- Notify providers of timelines.
- Pull / prepare patient records for next day appointments (As needed). Assist in pulling charts needed for copying or other patient information. Locate missing charts no later than end of shift.
- Act as notifying agent for patients needing to return or pick up copies of documents (not responsible for missed appointments, changing appointments, etc.)
- Patient contacts to be noted in EHR.
- Repair worn charts (If needed).
- Responsible for monitoring/reviewing of archived charts in storage.
- Miscellaneous Duties:
- Maintain strict standards of confidentiality and privacy with regard to all patient records and correspondence.
- Assist in chart reviews for completeness of record or tracking purposes.
- Meet as needed with other staff to improve record-keeping and correspondence systems.
- Take messages from callers as necessary.
This position also requires viewing a CRT, knowledge of a keyboard, the ability to use a computer, and work at a computer workstation. May require rotation with other medical records personnel to cover other sites
From time to time, this position requires the ability to work extended hours.