WIC Program Assistant
General Description: The Program Assistant participates in determining categorical, geographical and income eligibility of WIC Participants.
Reports to: WIC Assistant Director or WIC Program Director
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D.
2. One year's general office experience with proficient computer skills.
3. Experience in health care or community facility preferred.
4. Sensitivity to the needs of the participant population.
5. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
6. Availability to work at multiple WIC sites and during program clinic hours, as needed.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Performs reception duties such as:
- Answer and direct phone calls.
- Screen applicant inquiries for eligibility.
- Manage appointment scheduling/rescheduling including reminder phone calls.
- Greet and triage participants to appropriate staff.
- Oversee flow of applicants/participants in waiting area.
- Clerical duties as required.
2. Follows all protocols and/or regulations for processing applicants/participants for
- Verification of identity, income, residency, and participant category. Complete
- Educate and/ or explain participant’s rights and responsibilities, authorized
- Referrals to MassHealth, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP),
- Provide notification for end of certification, missed checks, and/or ineligibility to
- Verification of signature against authorized signature on WIC Gold Card.
- Printing and reissuing of food/formula prescription checks.
- Process participant authorized shoppers for check issuance.
- Security of check stock.
data entry for (re)certification.
signatures/shoppers, WIC foods, and using checks at authorized vendors.
and Transitional Aid to Families of Dependent Children (TAFDC) programs as
well as other health and human service programs.
receive WIC benefits.
3. Oversees check issuance for prescribed food prescription including:
4. Performs other duties as needed, including quality assurance activities.
This position also requires the ability to use a computer, work at a computer workstation, viewing a CRT and have some knowledge of a keyboard.
From time to time, this position requires the ability to work long and arduous hours.
I have read this position description thoroughly, and have had an opportunity to ask any questions I have with regard to it.